Get involved and support mental health! Attend one of our community events held throughout the year, including our national flagship event Ride Don’t Hide.
Check out our Event Calendar for information on our workshops, and weekly and monthly drop-in sessions.
Time to work on your outside voice! Get ready to #GETLOUD this May 1 – 7, 2017 for the 66th Annual CMHA Mental Health Week. CMHA Mental Health Week was first introduced in 1951 to raise mental health awareness. It is now a Canadian tradition, offering practical ways to maintain and improve mental health and support recovery.
If you interested in any brochures or swag (subject to availability), please contact us at email@example.com.
The following events will be occurring during Mental Health Week:
- The Calgary tower lights up in Blue & Green – Monday, May 1, 2017
- The Reconciliation Bridge lights up in Blue & Green – Monday, May 1, 2017
- Beard Run, Film Screening and Mental Health Panel – Wednesday, May 3, 2017 – In collaboration with the Beard Run, Mental Film Fest and CMHA Calgary Region. Join the 2nd Annual Beard Run, a 5 mile (8km) Fun Run that celebrates living a physically healthy bearded lifestyle with great bearded and non-bearded people, followed by some short films including people’s stories about mental health and awareness.
Location: Fort Calgary, Located Outside
Time: Run starts at 6:00 p.m.; Film Screening starts at 7:30 p.m.
Cost: $20 early bird price until April 16; $25 regular price from April 17 to May 3; (includes Swag Pack and $5 donation directly to Canadian Mental Health Association – Calgary Region).
To register click here.
Film Screening & Mental Health Panel
*You do not have to attend the Beard Run to attend Film Screening*
Location: Fort Calgary, Burnswest Theatre
Time: Doors open at 7:00 p.m., Screening starts 7:30 p.m.
Cost: Include with admission to Beard Run or by donation
If you cannot attend the Beard Run, Film Screening & Mental Health Panel, you are still able to donate here.
SAVE THE DATE: June 25, 2017
Ride Don’t Hide is a community bike ride hosted, nationally, by the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA), with the goal to raise awareness and help break the stigma surrounding mental health while raising essential funds to support mental health programs in our community.
The community event is a ride, not a race, with routes designed for riders of all ages and abilities—from novice rider to the advanced cyclist. 2017 marks the 4th Annual Ride Don’t Hide event for CMHA – Calgary, the only ride in Alberta. Our goal in 2017 is to have 550 cyclists, raising over $150,000.
Where: Springbank Park for All Seasons – 32224A Springbank Road, Calgary, AB
When: June 25th, 2017
How much: $45 Early Bird Registration until April 30, 2017; $55 Regular Registration from May 1 – June 25, 2017. Make sure to register early due to limited space! Children 12 and under are free! Registration will be open until 5 p.m. on June 24, 2017 or until we reach capacity. *Note: Trailers and tag-alongs are not permitted due to the nature of our course.
What does your registration get you? Adults and Youth will receive a Ride Don’t Hide t-shirt (Children’s t-shirts are available for purchase); A supportive ride with aid stations (water & snacks) on the 105km and 50km routes; BBQ lunch after the ride; fun festival activities to enjoy after your ride; and a Rider Kit with goodies and swag!
- 7:00 a.m.: Registration for 105km ride opens.
- 7:30 a.m.: Horn sounds – 105km riders take off.
- 9:00 a.m.: Registration for 50km ride opens.
- 9:30 a.m.: Horn sounds – 50km riders take off.
- 10:30 a.m.: Registration for 10/20km ride opens.
- 11:00 a.m.: Horn sounds – 10/20km riders take off.
- Noon: Riders begin to return; BBQ lunch and fun activities to celebrate!
- 1:00 p.m.: Closing remarks and wrap up.
*Schedule subject to change
What: 10km, 20km, 50km or 105km routes – all departing from Springbank Park for All Seasons
- 10km & 20 km– Family Ride. A terrific option for beginners trying out cycling for the first time, this route follows quiet back roads through the Springbank area and overlooks the beautiful mountains the entire way. 10km too short? Complete two loops for 20km! The number of participants on this route will be capped at 200. Check out the route on Strava! (Elevation gain of 83m, est. moving time of 26 minutes)
- 50km – uses Highway 22 between Springbank Road and Bragg Creek there/back; This route, designed for the intermediate rider, gives you the opportunity to challenge yourself! Following cycling routes along the roadways in Springbank, this route is full of hills, valleys and a landscape that will take your breath away as you make your way south into Bragg Creek. The number of participants on this route will be capped at 200. Check out the route on Strava! (Elevation gain of 295m, est. moving time of 2 hours and 5 minutes)
- 105km – uses Highway 22 from Springbank Road to Beaver Lodge (just past Elbow Falls) via Highway 66. The ultimate challenge for even the most advanced cyclists – the 100km route is in a class all on its own! Join a limited number of cyclists for a unique experience as you ride through Springbank south past Bragg Creek and into scenic Kananaskis Country. The number of participants on this route will be capped at 150. Check out the route on Strava! (Elevation gain of 933m, est. moving time of 4 hours and 20 minutes)
Who: All ages and skill levels from beginner (10km, 20km), intermediate (50km) to advance (105km)
Rider Kit Pick-Up
Pick-up your Rider Kit filled with goodies, your Ride Don’t Hide T-Shirt and Rider Number ahead of time! You will still have to check-in on Event Day to pick-up your timechip for safety reasons.
When: Friday, June 23, 2017
Where: Main Floor – The Kahanoff Centre, 105 – 12 Avenue SE
Ensure your bike is safe for the road and make sure you know the rules of the road. Review our safety document prior to Ride Don’t Hide. Remember: this is a ride, not a race!
Unable to ride and want to volunteer? In total, the Calgary Ride Don’t Hide event will need approximately 80 volunteers to run safely and smoothly. Volunteers will be provided with a T-Shirt, lunch and any materials they may require (i.e. safety vest). Volunteers are require to fill out our Volunteer Application Form.
CMHA – Calgary Region
Canadian Mental Health Association – Calgary Region creates awareness, provides education, advocacy and support for individuals and families living with mental illness, addiction or loss by suicide. We provide community-based programs, including supportive and independent living, homeless outreach, aboriginal outreach, suicide bereavement and peer support for families and individuals. We work closely with other community organizations to bridge gaps in the mental health care system and facilitate access to important services and resources.
Ride Don’t Hide raises awareness and funds that make a significant impact in our community. Your donation enables us to continue this work in our community especially empowering young people through our Youth Engagement Strategy, which supports prevention and early intervention. This event will provide mental health programs and services to youth in the Calgary area including:
- Bringing youth to our annual mental health summit to lead awareness in their schools and community;
- Providing education programs – mental health awareness, stress management, and suicide prevention – to junior high and senior high classes;
- Bringing the Community Helpers program – enhancing natural helping skills – to a youth-serving organization or school.
For more information and event sponsorship please contact Amy Ball at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-297-1742.