Ride Don’t Hide Committee Volunteers
Ride Don’t Hide Committee Volunteers
Ride Don’t Hide is a community bike ride hosted, nationally, by the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA), with the goal to raise awareness and help break the stigma surrounding mental health while raising essential funds to support mental health programs in our community.
The community event is a ride, not a race, with routes designed for riders of all ages and abilities—from the beginner rider to the advanced cyclist. 2019 marks the 6th Annual Ride Don’t Hide event for CMHA – Calgary, the only ride in Alberta. Our goal in 2019 is to have 550 cyclists, raising over $175,000.
Where: Springbank Park for All Seasons – 32224A Springbank Road, Calgary, AB
When: June 23, 2019
We are currently recruiting people to sit on our Ride Don’t Hide Steering Committee. The Ride Don’t Hide Steering Committee ensures the development of an engaging, safe and community bike ride event suitable for all Calgarians. The goal of Ride Don’t Hide is to initiate dialogue in the community, reduce stigma and promote mental wellness through a public event that openly discusses mental health in a safe and fun environment. The goal is to also increase CMHA – Calgary’s profile in the community and raise funds for our vital programs and services.
Committee Roles and Responsibilities
In close coordination with CMHA – Calgary Staff, the Ride Don’t Hide Steering Committee will:
- Provide guidance, assistance and consultation on the overall event and related details.
- Represent CMHA – Calgary and Ride Don’t Hide with a positive public profile: promote the event and encourage potential participants to become involved by registering, fundraising and/or volunteering; share personal network and contacts where comfortable and as appropriate to increase community awareness and support; represent the mission and purpose of Ride Don’t Hide by utilizing appropriate and key messaging (with support from Communications as needed).
- Meet on a regular basis to discuss updates and provide support (meetings may increase in frequency closer to event date). Tentative meeting schedule: monthly meetings beginning in January (the 1st Wednesday of the month at noon at CMHA’s main office); early May – Mid-June: meeting every 2 weeks (total of 3-4)
Rider Kit Lead:
- Coordinates package materials for all participants including: Sourcing gift-in-kind donations (e.g. lip balms, gum, etc.) with assistance from the committee and network;
- Assists in sourcing a bag to use for the kit (ideally a drawstring gym bag).
- Coordinates support from the committee to ensure the assembly of rider kits in time for pre-event package pickup.
- Works to schedule and coordinate pre-event package pickup with community supporters and locations, including scheduling volunteers to provide assistance.
- On event-day, supports riders who may not have picked up their kits ahead of time and ensures they receive them.
Start/Finish Line Lead:
- Helps to coordinate the logistics for the start of the race including the flags for the “chute”, recommendations for preamble content, horn to mark the start, warmup if required, etc.
- Coordinates celebration of riders crossing the finish line (e.g. finish line arch, volunteers along the finish line to cheer participants across, sourcing noisemakers, etc.)
- Helps to coordinate and source music/a playlist for the start of the event, as well as for the finish line.
- Assists in creative brainstorming and research for vendors to attend the event with interactive booths including food trucks, massage therapists, cycling clubs, spin studios etc. to create an interactive, festival-like atmosphere.
- Assists in the arrangement, coordination and negotiations with each organization
*Please note, we are always looking for people to assist and help. There are additional roles and responsibilities we could use assistance in. Please inquire for more information.*
CMHA – Calgary Region is committed to connecting volunteers with the right position for themselves and the organization. Thank you again for your interest in CMHA – Calgary Region. Click here to complete our Volunteer Application form. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or connect with our Community Engagement Team.