2 Volunteers – Continuing Connections
What is Continuing Connections?
Continuing Connections is a recreation based program for adults aged 18-65 affected by mental illness who currently live in Long Term Care. Continuing Connections has two Recreation staff who work within four different care facilities including Carewest Dr. Vernon Fanning Centre, Bethany Care Society Calgary, Carewest Garrison Green Care Centre, and Glamorgan Care Centre. The goal of this program is to connect with individuals using recreation and leisure as a means to build social support, decrease isolation, increase motivation, and improve overall quality of life.
Continuing Connections is looking for an enthusiastic volunteer who enjoys interacting with others, participating in group activities, and enriching the lives of extraordinary people in long term care! If you are looking for a volunteer opportunity where you will gain as much as you give, look no further than the Continuing Connections Recreation program!
The Continuing Connections Volunteer daytime role includes assisting CMHA Recreation staff with group programming at Long Term Care facilities and/or community outings. This role may include participation in discussion based groups or activity based groups at and around the care facility. Currently, group programs run at each facility twice monthly with the opportunity to assist at one or more facility, as your availability allows.
- Assist with portering clients to/from group programs in care facility (may include pushing wheelchairs, walking with individuals who use walkers/electric wheelchairs)
- Actively participate in activities with clients (ex. Expressive arts projects, discussions, drumming circles, horticulture, seasonal events, relaxation/mindfulness activities, walking groups, games, and many more programs)
- Engage in conversation with clients
- You will have a positive attitude and enthusiastically participate in tasks required
- Stay for entire duration of program, including set up and cleanup of program area
- Will represent CMHA Continuing Connections program in a positive way around the care facilities and community
- Twice monthly commitment for approximately 2 hours each day (Monday to Friday).
- Commitment of approximately 6 months initially (with opportunity to extend longer!).
- Transportation to/from care center (Glamorgan Care Centre and/or Garrison Care Centre).
If you are interested in volunteering with our Continuing Connections team and meet the above requirements please email your cover letter along with resume to email@example.com. Let us know whether you are interested in the Glamorgan Care Centre or Carewest Garrison Green Care Centre location.
Thank you for your interest in this volunteer role.
Successful applicants will be required to provide proof of education credentials upon hire and complete a criminal record check.
While we appreciate all the submitted applications, we will only contact the volunteers considered for this position.