POSITION TITLE: Coordinator, Community Recreation
PROGRAM: Operations – Continuing Connections
POSITION TYPE: Permanent, Full-time
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours per week
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting to the Senior Program Manager in Operations, you will be responsible for the development and implementation of leisure/recreation services for center residents between 18 and 65+ years of age who reside in a long-term care center and often managing both long-term physical health and mental health illness. You will connect with individuals using recreation and leisure as a means to build social support, decrease isolation, increase motivation, and improve overall quality of life.
You will primarily work between two (2) centers as a team member of both the Applied Behaviour Collaboration (ABC) Team that focuses on supporting individuals with complex behaviour and/or mental health needs through partnership with Alberta Health Services and the Canadian Mental Health Outreach team.
The five (5) care centres are: Carewest Dr. Vernon Fanning Centre, Carewest Garrison Green, Glamorgan Care Centre, Bethany Care Society and AgeCare SkyPointe.
REPORTS TO: Operations Senior Program Manager
KEY CLIENT SERVICE RESPONSIBILITIES AND SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Plan, implement, and evaluate the recreation component of the overall program for the five (5) care centers for the 18 - 65+ years of age group.
- Facilitate a variety of group programming within the facility and community outings, as well as 1-1 programming.
- Advocate for program clients and promote recovery and their inclusion in their community.
- Participate in the overall functioning, coordination and development of the Continuing Connections Program, in partnership with key stakeholders.
- Participation in discussion based groups or activity based groups at and around the care facility.
- Build therapeutic relationships.
- Maintain database documentation records, and program statistics.
- Administer an assessment tool to help identify client strengths, and monitor client success.
- Actively participate in activities with clients (ex. expressive arts projects, discussions, drumming circles, horticulture, seasonal events, relaxation/mindfulness activities, walking groups, games, and many more programs).
- Participate in the evaluation of program outcomes.
- Adhere to incident and risk management policies.
ADDITIONAL TEAM RESPONSIBILITIES AND COMPETENCIES
- Adheres to the definition and guiding principles of the Team Model.
- Participates in regularly scheduled team meetings.
- Promotes the principles of diversity and equity in all work related duties, wherever applicable.
- Participates as a responsible member of the agency.
- Train, supervise and recognize program volunteers, and oversee practicum students as needed.
- Community focused with knowledge of mental health resources.
- Sound judgment and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- High level of initiative and self-motivation.
- Self-awareness and time management.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- A recognized diploma or undergraduate degree in a human services area.
- You have worked in the mental health field for over two (2) years and have a deep commitment to and understanding of the recovery model. You demonstrate deep respect not only for clients but for the teams you support, your peers and community partners.
- Two (2) years of experience in working with individuals with mental health/addiction conditions and complex medical needs in a care facility, or an equivalent combination.
- Experienced in working in continuing care is an asset.
- Registered Social Worker is an asset.
- Experience working in an interdisciplinary team setting.
- Experience in group facilitation is an asset.
- Professional competencies such as assessment, intervention/treatment planning, critical thinking, judgment, documentation, program development, and case management.
- First Aid and CPR certifications (ASIST an asset)
- Valid driver’s license and a vehicle.
The COVID-19 vaccination is a job requirement and a condition of employment. Offers of employment will be conditional upon proof of full immunization against COVID-19 with a Health Canada approved vaccine prior to the candidates’ start date.
Application Closing Date: The posting will remain active on the website until the position is filled.
Candidates meeting the above criteria who wish to apply for this exciting opportunity should email their cover letter and resume to Human Resources at email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.