POSITION TITLE: Counsellor
PROGRAM: Operations – Counselling, Family Support & Suicide Bereavement
POSITION TYPE: Permanent, Part-time
HOURS OF WORK: 24 hours per week (Flexible days and some evenings/weekends for workshops/drop-in groups)
POSITION SUMMARY: The Counsellor will assist in providing counselling and group support to those experiencing grief and loss due to suicide, knowledge and experience in the area of trauma informed work, mental health conditions and addictions, in consultation with team counsellors. The position with liaise with other professionals, and will facilitate group process in areas of prevention, intervention and follow-up care.
REPORTS TO: Lead Counsellor
KEY SERVICE RESPONSIBILITIES AND SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Provide group counselling to clients experiencing grief due to a suicide, including assessment and appropriate referral as needed and/or group counselling with respect to a loved one/significant person experiencing a mental health conditions, experiencing trauma or addictions.
- Design, organize and facilitate group sessions for clients.
- Compile statistics, develop reports, monitor budgets, and present this information to both the agency and funding sources.
- Ongoing research on areas relevant to recovery framework with respect to suicide supports, trauma informed work, and mental health conditions and addictions to provide on-going program evaluation.
- Represent CMHA Calgary on appropriate committees as required.
- To be a resource to the community in the area of suicide prevention, suicide intervention, suicide bereavement, mental illness, and information and referral services.
- Assist in the planning and coordination of Survivors of Suicide Loss Day.
- Provide educational presentations in the areas of suicide prevention, intervention, and post prevention.
- Responsible for the recruiting, interviewing, selecting, training, and supervising of suitable volunteers/peers.
- Provide ongoing research on areas relevant to recovery framework with respect to suicide supports, trauma informed work, and mental health conditions and addictions.
- Ensure the ongoing documentation and recording of client, volunteer, peer, and program information.
- Other duties as required.
ADDITIONAL TEAM RESPONSIBILITIES AND COMPETENCIES
- Work collaboratively with team members in Suicide Bereavement and Family Support Program.
- Must be able to work some evenings.
- Effective conflict resolution, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Approachable, accessible, facilitates cooperation.
- A willingness to think outside the box approach to counselling.
- Able to engage in active listening and provide/accept constructive feedback.
- Recognizes and adheres to professional boundaries.
- Adhere to the definition and guiding principles of the Team Model.
- Promote the principles of diversity and equity in all work-related duties, wherever applicable.
- Is able to represent self and the agency in a professional manner.
- Works effectively in a team environment.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Minimum Masters level education in Social Work, Psychology, or related field.
- A minimum of two (2) years of counselling experience in dealing with suicide/grief and loss related issues, trauma informed care (PTSD), concurrent disorders and mental health conditions, substance abuse or addictions.
- Certification/registration with appropriate professional body is required.
- ASIST training.
- Knowledge and experience of bereavement process specific to suicide.
- EMDR, CBT/DBT trained in delivering these counselling techniques would be an asset.
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications.
- Individual, couples, family, and group counselling/presentation facilitation an asset.
- Some evening/weekend work required.
- You demonstrate deep respect not only for clients for the teams you support, your peers and community partners.
- Experience in crisis intervention, management and psychological first aid an asset.
- Prior experience in coaching, mentoring, and motivating employees, advocate for peer support, and volunteer supervision is an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office along with ETO Tracking Software is an asset.
The COVID-19 vaccination is a job requirement and a condition of employment. Offers of employment will be conditional upon proof of full immunization against COVID-19 with a Health Canada approved vaccine, prior to the candidates’ start date.
Application closing date: The posting will remain active on the website until the position is filled.
Candidates meeting the above criteria who wish to apply for this exciting opportunity should email their cover letter and resume to Human Resources at email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.