POSITION TITLE: Lead Counsellor
PROGRAM: Operations - Counselling
POSITION TYPE: Permanent, Part-time
HOURS OF WORK: 21 hours per week
POSITION SUMMARY: The Lead Counsellor is responsible for the clinical oversight staff of the counselling therapy program.
REPORTS TO: Director, Operations – Community Mental Health & Wellness
KEY SERVICE RESPONSIBILITIES AND SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Provide clinical supervision, guidance, support and mentorship to Counselling Therapists to ensure the smooth running of the day-to-day operations within the Counselling Team.
- Responsible for ongoing program development and management of the Counselling Department and collaborate on the department’s projects (i.e. Survivors of Suicide Loss Day).
- Ongoing consultation and connections with various internal CMHA-Calgary programs.
- Participate in building alliances and networking with community partners, groups and individuals to address common needs and issues and to further the programmatic areas of counselling therapy as it relates to CMHA-Calgary.
- Collaborate with Outcomes to ensure funder reporting is completed in a timely manner.
- Remain current with new policies, training, services, resources, and legislation applicable to the mental health/counselling program.
- Promote the principles of diversity and equity in all work-related duties, wherever applicable.
- Identify and support quality improvement initiatives through data, observation, and feedback received from Outcomes, staff, and clients.
- Collaboration of all research initiatives between internal and external stakeholders to ensure appropriate coordination and interaction of participants.
- Ability to design and implement processes and procedures within the counselling department.
- Other duties as required.
ADDITIONAL SUPERVISION RESPONSIBILITIES AND COMPETENCIES
- Provide regular clinical supervision to the counselling therapists, both individual and group on a regular and consistent basis.
- Coaching the Team to meet their professional development goals.
- Promote self-development and continuing personal development.
- To promote the principles of diversity and equity in all work-related duties, whenever applicable.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Minimum of a master’s degree in counselling, psychology, clinical social work, or equivalent.
- Certification and experience in clinical supervision are required.
- Minimum five years of progressive leadership experience is required.
- Knowledge of local mental health and/or addiction systems and community services.
- A minimum of five (5) years of counselling experience in dealing with suicide/grief and loss-related issues, trauma informed care (PTSD), concurrent disorders and mental health conditions, substance abuse or addictions.
- ASIST training would be an asset.
- EMDR, CBT/DBT trained in delivering these counselling techniques would be an asset.
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications are required.
- Individual, couples, family, and group counselling/presentation facilitation an asset.
- Some evening/weekend work required.
- Demonstrated competence in verbal, written and computer-based communication styles.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to work effectively with people.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office suite and the use of the internet.
- High level of initiative and self-motivation.
- Determined, action oriented and committed to excellence.
- Self-awareness and self-management.
- Flexible and adaptable.
The COVID-19 vaccination is a job requirement and a condition of employment. Offers of employment will be conditional upon proof of full immunization against COVID-19 with a Health Canada approved vaccine, prior to the candidates’ start date.
Application closing date: The posting will remain active on the website until the position is filled.
Candidates meeting the above criteria who wish to apply for this exciting opportunity should email their cover letter and resume to Human Resources at email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.