Thank you for your interest in volunteering!
We are always searching for skilled and enthusiastic volunteers! Volunteering with CMHA is an experience available for anyone who wants to give back to their community, and make a difference. We also encourage people who have lived experience with mental illness to volunteer as a way to engage with the community and provide inspiration to others.
Your support helps us improve the lives of people living with mental health and/or addiction challenges and we truly appreciate the dedication and initiative of those who unselfishly contribute their time and energy.
Click here to fill out our volunteer application form and submit to our Volunteer Services department. This will assist us in finding an appropriate opportunity that meets your interests.
CMHA Calgary screens and places volunteers on an on-going basis to work in various teams and programs or for our upcoming events. For more information please visit Our Services to find out more about the various programs.
Volunteers are asked to make a commitment of a minimum of 3 hours to a maximum of 15 hours per week for a minimum of one year. The majority of the time is spent offering services to clients in the community. Most programs prefer day time availability yet there are evening or weekend events offered from time to time.
Additionally, we undertake major events throughout the year which are a great fit for individuals who want to help out but are not able to commit to the longer term requirements within our programs. If this would be a better way for you to contribute, please email email@example.com
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary team as well as independently in an environment that values diversity.
- Assist the program clients with the development of social skills and with activities such as: daily living (shopping, cooking, laundry, cleaning), vocational activities, finding housing, social recreation, use of computer, etc., according to the client’s needs.
- Adhere to policies and procedures and ensure confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to take direction and feedback as required.
- Experience in community mental health, professional or personal knowledge of the mental health system, or a willingness to learn.
- Educational background, work experience or prior volunteer experience in mental health, social services or a related field.
- Excellent communication, listening, and interpersonal skills.
- 18 years of age or older.
- Enjoy working with others, able and willing to teach any of the following independent living skills: budgeting, shopping, resume writing, use of public transportation, cooking, etc.
- Lived experience / contact with mental health system is a requirement for Peer Supporter.
- For our Suicide Bereavement program requirements please visit the following link http://cmha.calgary.ab.ca/get-involved-2/volunteer/suicide-bereavement-program-volunteers/
- Fill out our volunteer application form and submit to our Volunteer Services department. This will assist us in finding an appropriate opportunity that meets your interests. If you are unsure about specific programs you are interested in, or would just like to get more information before applying, contact Volunteer Services.
- If your application is successful, police information and reference checks will be conducted, and your placement will be subject to the successful completion of these checks.
CMHA – Calgary Region is committed to connecting volunteers with the right position for themselves and the organization. Thank you again for your interest in CMHA – Calgary Region. Click here to get started.
For more information, contact Volunteer Services at (403) 297-1713 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.