Want to share your story of recovery? Would you like to help others with your experience?
We are always searching for individuals and family members from diverse backgrounds to be a part of our peer support movement. Becoming a peer at CMHA – Calgary means you can use your experience of mental health or addiction to support your community and make a difference. We provide 70 hours of free training, 50 hours of paid internship, opportunities for employment and a community of support for those interested in providing peer support.
Your support helps us improve the lives of people living with mental health and/or addiction challenges and we truly appreciate the dedication of those looking to be a part of this movement. Those interested in peer support can use their newly gained skills to support others one-on-one, through groups or as ambassadors and educators.
- No formal education is required;
- You will have a lived experience of a mental health or addiction issue or experience supporting a family member;
- Comfort level sharing your story of recovery with others;
- Availability to complete 70 hours of training and a 50 hour internship over five months;
- Familiarity with peer support and have a deep commitment to understanding of the recovery model, and willingness to share your recovery story as part of your peer role.
Please submit a cover letter, write an essay and include your resume and why you may be a good fit for to email@example.com. If your application is successful, a police check and reference checks will be conducted (a history of charges will not in most cases exclude you), and you will be invited to an interview which will be led by fellow individual or family peers.
Peer School – Individual and Family Peer Training and Internship. Please review the attached PDF for more information.
We are currently in the final stage of reviewing the applications received to date. Applications received after August 23, 2018 will be considered for next possible peer school 2019 Date.
- Successful Candidates will be contacted for Interviews. We will be interviewing for approximately 18 spots.
- Commitment for the training is once a week, 3 hours per day/evening for approximately 5 months.
- Target Date for Interviews September 2018 for October 2018 Peer School.
Thank you for your interest and while we appreciate all the submitted applications, we will only contact the candidates considered for this opportunity.